If you’re looking for a challenging workout that you can do at home, barbells are the answer. Barbell workouts offer a full-body exercise routine that can be tailored to your fitness level and goals. So get yourself a sold set of FW barbells get to work on these top ten barbell exercises that will help you get started.
1. The barbell squat: This is the king of barbell exercises and one of the best barbell workouts you can do. It works your glutes, quads, hamstrings, core muscles and back. Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and holding a barbell in front of your chest. Make sure to keep your chest up and lower yourself slowly until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Then push up explosively but with control to complete one rep.
2. The barbell deadlift: Another great barbell exercise for a full-body workout! Begin by setting up with feet hip-width apart and the bar resting on the ground about a foot away from your toes. Keep your back straight as you bend your hips and knees to grab the bar, then lift it off the ground. Lift with control until you’re standing upright, pause for a moment and lower it back down.
3. The barbell overhead press: This is an exercise that will work your shoulders, chest, triceps and core muscles! Start by holding a barbell at shoulder height with palms facing forward. Push the barbell up until your arms are extended above your head, pause for a second then slowly bring it back down in a controlled movement to complete one rep.
4. The barbell bench press: A great barbell exercise for building upper body strength and size! Lie flat on a bench holding a barbell at chest level with hands just outside of shoulder width. Push the barbell up until your arms are fully extended and pause, then slowly lower it back to chest level to complete one rep.
5. The barbell bent-over row: This barbell exercise will target your upper back muscles as well as your biceps! Start by standing with feet hip-width apart holding a barbell in front of you, palms facing down. Bend over at the waist and keep your back straight, allowing the bar to hang in front of you. Pull the bar towards your chest while keeping your elbows close to your body until they are just past parallel to the floor. Then slowly lower it back down to starting position.
6. The barbell lunge: This barbell exercise is great for building lower body strength and stability. Start by standing upright holding a barbell across your shoulders. Take a large step forward with one leg, lowering your hips until both knees are bent at about 90 degrees. Push off through the front heel to return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
7. The barbell upright row: This barbell exercise targets your upper traps, shoulders and biceps! Start by gripping the barbell with hands just outside of shoulder width and palms facing towards you. Pull the bar up towards your chin while keeping your elbows close to your body until they are parallel to the floor. Pause for a second then slowly lower it back down in a controlled movement to complete one rep.
8. The barbell curl: This barbell exercise is great for building larger biceps and forearm strength! Start by standing with feet shoulder-width apart holding a barbell in both hands with palms facing forward. Curl the bar up towards your chest, pause for a moment then slowly lower it back down to starting position.
9. The barbell floor press: This barbell exercise will target your chest and triceps muscles! Lie flat on the ground with feet planted firmly on the ground and hold a barbell above you at chest level. Lower the bar until your upper arms are just below parallel to the floor, pause for a second then push up explosively but with control to complete one rep.
10. The barbell triceps extension: This barbell exercise will target your triceps and core muscles. Start by standing with feet shoulder-width apart holding a barbell behind your head with both hands. Push the bar up in an arc until it is above your head, pause for a moment then slowly lower to starting position to complete one rep.
By incorporating these 10 barbell exercises into your home workout routine you can be sure to build strength and improve muscle tone! So get ready to take on any challenge that comes your way! Good luck!